Located at 4,247 feet, on the edge of King Ravine, along the Spur Trail, Crag Camp has fine views of King Ravine, the Knife Edge and much of Northern New Hampshire.
Originally built in 1909, Crag for many years was the private camp of Nelson H. Smith. It has been maintained by the RMC since 1939, and, in 1993, was razed and replaced with a completely new building.
Crag Camp has overnight room for 20 guests. Overnight guests must have money with them to pay for their stay at Gray Knob, Crag Camp and/or The Perch. People without money will be directed to stay at The Log Cabin and still receive a receipt to mail in their fee for that facility.
A caretaker is on hand from mid-June through August, and on some of the busier weekends. During the rest of the year, the Gray Knob caretaker visits the facility in the evening to collect overnight fees.
No reservations are accepted, and usage is on a first come, first-served basis. At times when Crag Camp is full, the RMC caretaker may ask some guests to relocate to another RMC facility.
Mattresses are available for use, though guests are encouraged to bring ensolite or thermarest pads.
Counter space and stove boards are provided for cooking. Guests are required to bring their own cooking stoves and utensils.
Water is available from a spring, approximately a quarter mile west on the Gray Knob Trail.
Because of the heavy use the area receives, and its proximity to treeline, Crag Camp is located within a Forest Protection Area. There is no camping permitted within a quarter mile of the cabin. Campers should be aware that, because of unsuitable terrain and vegetation, it will be necessary to travel more than one quarter mile to find a suitable camping location. To protect this fragile area from overuse, U.S. Forest Service backcountry patrollers routinely check the area for illegal camping. Please refer to the White Mountain National Forest Home Page for more information about Forest Protection Areas.
Please see the RMC's general guidelines for further information.
Crag Camp Stats
Year Built and Owner: 1909-10 by John Boothman for Nelson Harvey Smith